1. What is Databank Balanced Fund? The Databank Balanced Fund is a mutual fund that seeks to achieve growth in income and capital with the aim of generating medium to long-term value. The Fund is termed “balanced” because of its mandate to invest equal portions of its assets in equity and fixed-income investments.
2. Why should I invest in BFund? BFund offers you the best of both worlds when planning for your retirement. You’ll get the safety and security of money market investments, combined with the potential for higher returns typically associated with equity investments.
3. Can I invest in BFund even if it is not towards my retirement? Yes. BFund is a great investment if you’re planning toward buying a house, car or any other financial goal you are looking to attain. At Databank, we believe you should invest in your future. For investors who seek balance, BFund is the investment vehicle designed specifically for that purpose.
4. How does BFund work? BFund pools funds from its shareholders, and places 60%-70% of the funds in fixed-income investments; the remainder (30%-40%) is invested listed equities (e.g. Ordinary shares of companies listed on the Ghana Stock Exchange). Shareholders realize capital gains when the Fund’s price increases beyond the price at which it was purchased. Dividends and coupon payments earned by the Fund’s investments are reinvested in the Fund.
5. How much do I need to be able to invest in BFund? The minimum (lump sum) investment that an individual can make into BFund is GHC100. If you opt to do a regular investment plan, the minimum monthly contribution is GHC10. Owing to the fact that the fund is an open-ended collective investment scheme, one can top up his or her investment at any point in time. There is no limit to the amount you can invest.
6. What do I need to sign up for BFund? Valid photo ID (e.g., Passport, Driver’s license, NHIS card) 2 passport size photographs A completed mutual fund application form (available at any of our branch offices or at www.databankgroup.com) Amount of money to be invested. You can purchase BFUND shares by cash, cheque or bank transfer.
7. Can I invest in BFund using an existing Databank Mutual Fund Account?
Yes. You can maintain all of your mutual fund investments in one Databank investment account. Simply provide the Databank Relationship Manager with your account number when you come in to invest in BFund.
8. How old do I need to be to invest in BFund? Investors must be 18 years or older. Anyone below that age will require a parent or guardian to open the account in trust for him or her.
9. Can I access the funds in my investment anytime I need money? Yes. While you can access your funds anytime, it is recommended that you allow your contributions to remain in the Fund for at least 3 years. This is to ensure that you realize maximum potential gains from your investment.
10. What is the process for withdrawing my money? Complete a withdrawal form (available at any of our branch offices or at www.databankgroup.com) Submit by hand, fax or post to Databank. A fax and/or email indemnity form must be completed when submitting electronically. Proceeds of disinvestment in BFund will be available after five (5) business days.
11. What returns do I make as an investor in BFund? Returns in BFund are realized from changes in the Fund’s price (relative to the price that you purchased it at). For example, if you bought a share at GHC0.15 and the current price is GHC0.25, then the return on that share is GHC25 – GHC0.15 = GHC0.10 (which translates to a return of 66.7%). Dividends and interest payments earned by the Fund’s investments are reinvested in the Fund.